The Richmond/West Stockbridge Artists’ Guild, Inc.
Mission: Educate members and the public about art and contribute to the quality of life in the Berkshires. Encourage, support and promote vibrant inspired visual artists leading seminars, critiques, Plein Air, Meet the Artist, live models, exhibits and demonstrations in the Richmond and West Stockbridge area.
History: The formal establishment of the Richmond/West Stockbridge Artists Guild, Inc., a Massachusetts Non-Profit Corporation, grew out of the successful, inaugural Fine Art Show held in September 2014 at The Richmond Congregational Church. That show drew more than 30 exhibiting artists from the area and hundreds of attendees. Since that fall, artists have been gathering to enjoy en plein air and live model art making sessions.
Membership: Members are part or full time residents or business owners in the Richmond/West Stockbridge area which includes much of Berkshire county and adjacent New York. Members work in a wide range of visual media: paintings, sculpture, photography, film, pottery, jewelry, textiles, wood, stained glass, mixed-media, multimedia and other art forms approved by the membership. We encourage use of free/low cost tools in our organization and promote sustainability. We do not discriminate against protected classes.
Join us! Vibrant inspired visual artists who lead seminars, critiques, Plein Air, Meet the Artist, live models, exhibits and demonstrations and other educational activities.
We offer the public and members free of charge:
- Meet the Artist: one to three talks per month in painting, photography, pottery, etc.
- Demonstration of an art technique: Watercolor, Glazing Pottery, Sketching
- Seminars: How to Take Better Photos with your iPhone, How to Use Instagram, How to use Facebook so you get what YOU want, Painting on the iPad
- Newsletter once or twice a month on Visual Art Events. Sign up here
- Information on Visual Arts through our webpage www.rwsag.org and on Facebook Pages titled: Berkshire Art Openings, Berkshire Call for Art, Richmond-West Stockbridge Artists’ Guild, Berkshires Plein Air, Berkshire Art Book Gathering
We offer members activities such as workshops, guest speakers, studio tours, discussions, critiques, films & DVDs which are proposed, led and designed by members. The first event is always free of charge so you can try us out!
- Plein Air painting and drawing sessions weekdays Hancock Shaker Village, The Mount, Naumkeag, Berkshire Botanical Garden, Berkshire Natural Resources Council and Richmond Land Trust areas, and painting, sketching and photography visits to West Stockbridge, Richmond, Lenox, Alford, Tyringham and Stockbridge in good weather
- Live Model sessions weekly
- Positive Critique sessions monthly and small critique group sessions
- Artist to Artist Open studios and business meetings to plan new programs with member leadership monthly
- Potlucks for members and their partners regularly
- Art Book Gatherings in winter
- Tea with the Masters: view demonstrations on DVDs and films about art and artists in winter
- Exhibits and shows
- Trips to museums, galleries and special events
- Organize donation or art supplies in local schools